About this Site and Me

My photo
Flower Mound, TX, United States
Hi, I am an artist, wife, mom, gamer and the Elementary Art Educator at Donald Elementary, a sweet and wonderful school in Flower Mound, TX (outside of Dallas). This is a great place to see how we are integrating studio habits with technology and interdisciplinary connections. I also love to share my "wisdom" (Re: Experiences. From mistakes.) about teaching Elementary Art. I love what I do, and I've been doing it for a long time. Creating and teaching Art is what I live for. Enjoy.

Monday, March 10, 2014

Two Art Shows in One Week: Epilogue


Thursday 8:30 pm, , Open House, Student Art Show (see previous post)


Saturday: Spring Break starts

What to do about Friday?

Children and teachers were zombies. I went to Starbucks and got the largest tea I could, plus their protein plate and I still had tears leaking out of my eyes due to exhaustion. 

The thought of getting out the art supplies and trashing my-ready for break-clean room filled me with hopeless despair. I was tiiiiiiiiirrrred.

And then I remembered. These kids have iPADS. We can do a digital art day! Haven't done that before, let's see how it goes?!

I wrote 6 apps they could use (all free except one): 

                   
In case you can't read my chicken scratch:

  • Blendoku
  • Brushes
  • Inspire Pro
  • Sketchbook Express
  • iMotion HD
  • Drawing Pad (an optional, paid app)

  • I gave them full reign to try each app and create a work of art. Artist choice.

    I briefly introduced/reviewed each app. 

    We talked briefly about career paths that utilize digital art (most of them btw).

    I talked for 5 minutes tops.

    And off they went:


    Checking out Blendoku for color theory--they love it



    Friday ...Day Lights

    Here's where it exploded. These boys are using iMotion HD to create stop action animated movies. I don't have a lot of stuff to make movies from (toys, etc).

    Our library has an enormous supply of Sensory Tubs. 

    These boys borrowed them, and I didn't hear a PEEP out of them the entire class time.

    Student engagement? You could taste it. 
    Collaboration? You could feel it.
    Beauty, relaxation and joy? It was shining in the air. Literally. Shining.

    Kids without iPads used the Mac Airs to create their art.


    Then third and fourth grade took the ball and RAN with it. Here are groups of kids building movies.



    They are sprawled all over the hallway, and yet, so quiet...weird...right?


    And not all kids chose to go digital. A few wanted to finish up their weaving.

                         

    Meanwhile, classroom teachers were walking their classes around the Art Show and filling out Comment Cards for their Reading Buddies, friends, etc.







    Younger students were just as excited and engaged...






    ...but they found the higher levels of Blendoku to be a bit hard!


    See how they are working together? I love that. They are open to help and suggestions.

    That doesn't always happen when they are talking about traditional art making. Usually that leads to tattling and hurt feelings.


    Comments heard all day:
    BEST DAY EVER.
    I CAN'T WAIT TO DO THIS OVER SPRING BREAK!
    I DIDN'T REALIZE THAT MAKING MOVIES WAS ART.


    Best part? Clean up was 30 seconds long, I didn't have to stay after school to clean my room, and soon I was back in bed where I belonged.

    HAPPY SPRING BREAK, PEEPS!

    rest and relax!

    1 comment: