Arting at Home-create, connect and relax with the kids
Follow me on FB for up-to-date ideas and resources: https://www.facebook.com/Donaldartroom/
Hi parents and guardians, let's gather some supplies---
There are strange and scary times. On top of COVID-19, it is a rainy Spring Break with cooped-up kids. The supplies and ideas listed below will help continue teaching art skills, creativity and occupy your kids for a few hours. Children need the time, space and materials to create art, you do not have to spend a lot of money. With a little planning and prep, you can have some wonderful art-making happening in your house!
Please read through and use your discretion with supplies and project ideas. Supplies are optional depending on your kids and budget. Talk to your kids about what they like!
I play books on Audible in the art room while the kids create. There are online story references for free. Having the kids sit, draw and listen to a great book for about an hour is dreamy.
Recommended Art Supplies (you do not need all of this! Look around and see what you have)
- Large cookie sheets (artist trays) to protect surfaces and hold supplies. Check the dollar store!
- White drawing paper, 9 x12 (copy paper is fine) or larger
- Cardboard from boxes, cut into 4 X 6, 5 X 7, or 8 X10 sizes
- Recycled boxes and tubes (cereal and snack boxes are great)
- Pencils, erasers, pencil sharpener
- Crayons (broken and naked are great!)
- Oil pastels (supervise! These are messy--need wet wipes for clean up)
- Washable markers, all colors
- Black Sharpie markers (grades 2-5) and Sharpie pens
- Watercolors and brushes
- Container for water (yogurt cups, etc)
- Paper towels
- Glue bottle, glue stick and masking tape
- Colored paper (scrapbook paper, construction paper, tissue paper, whatever you like)
- Yarn-assorted colors
- Embroidery floss (for friendship bracelets and beginning sewing on burlap
- Acrylic paint- black, white, primary colors, brushes (messy--needs supervision)
- Air-dry clay
- Sidewalk chalk
- Craft supplies: pipe cleaners, sequins, buttons, googly eyes, etc if you have them
Recommended iPad Apps:
NGA Kids: https://www.nga.gov/education/kids.html Art History, museum, interactive
Brushes Redux: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/brushes-redux/id932089074 Painting app
Tayasui Sketches: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/tayasui-sketches-school/id1354087061 Drawing app
iMotion HD: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/imotion/id421365625 stop motion movie app
Stop Motion: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/stop-motion-studio/id441651297 stop motion movie app
Keep an eye on FB for project ideas!